What Is Roseola?
Roseola is a common viral infection that is caused by two strains of the herpes virus. It can result in a high fever and rash. It is more common in children between the age of six months to three years than in adults. Roseola is self-treatable and can be cured at home with proper home remedies and care. The disease resolves within a few days or weeks.
Roseola can take place in two ways: mild and broad-ranged. Some children show a mild range of symptoms and the illness is barely known while others show a broad and full range of signs and symptoms.
Roseola in general isn’t that serious. High fevers in rare cases can cause other complications. Bed rest and suitable medicines for the fever can make the situation better and the child or the patient can feel normal.
What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Roseola?
- Roseola is caused by two strains of herpes virus: herpes virus-6 and herpes virus-7.
- Roseola is a viral infection and can spread easily through contact with the infected person, respiratory secretions and saliva.
- Roseola is contagious even if the patient doesn’t have any signs of rashes.
- Though it can easily spread, it does not result in a community outbreak.
- The infection can occur at any time of the year.
The two most common and noticeable symptoms of roseola are fever and rashes.
- Fever: the symptoms usually start with a mild to high fever. The fever lasts for about three to five days.
- The child can develop swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
- Rash: the rashes generally occur after the fever subsides (not always). The rash consists of usually flat pink spots or patches. Sometimes the rashes can be raised. There can be white rings around some spots. All rashes are not itchy and uncomfortable. The rashes occur in the chest region, back, arms and abdomen. The situation gets normal and the spots fade away within a few days.
- Loss of appetite.
- Runny nose.
- Sore throats.
- Mild diarrhea.
- Swollen eyelids.
- Some rashes can irritate the skin and feel itchy.
What Are The Risk Factors And Complications?
Infants between the age of six months to three years are more prone to get affected by roseola.
Other risk factors include coming in contact with the infected person and their respiratory secretions and saliva.
Using the same things with the infected person can spread the disease.
Complications due to roseola are very rare. Yet in certain cases, if the condition becomes severe, the following complications can occur:
- Seizure in children: it can occur due to an occasional rise in body temperature.
- Temporary loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Jerking of the arms and legs for a few to several minutes.
- Children and people with weak immune systems can face complications.
- Children with already suffering diseases should not be brought in contact with an infected person.
- Ear and throat infection.
- Sharing of foods and objects should be avoided.
How To Diagnose The Condition?
- Roseola is hard to diagnose in the early stage due to limited symptoms.
- The diagnosis is mainly done from the symptoms.
- Doctors can also use blood tests to confirm the presence of certain antibodies.
What Are The Treatment Options?
- Most children recover well from roseola with limited care, without facing any complications.
- Medicines for fever are prescribed by doctors. Over-the-counter medicines such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) are prescribed.
(note: the patient or the family member must consult a doctor before trying out any medications)
- There is no specific treatment for roseola. Some doctors also prescribe antiviral medicines like ganciclovir (Cytovene) to treat the infection in children and people who have a weak immune system.
(note: the patient or the family member must consult a doctor before trying
What Can Be Done At Home: Precautions And Care
Roseola can be treated at home with minimal medications in most cases.
- Strengthening the immune system: healthy and nutritional foods should be consumed to make the immune system strong.
- In the case of infants, the parents should take proper precautions while taking them out. The infants must be covered in blankets or microfibre when taken outside.
- Children should wear masks when they are outside.
- Children should be kept away from an infected person.
- Sharing the same belongings should be avoided.
- Sharing of foods should be avoided.
- Fever reducing, over the counter medicines, should be taken. (note: the patient or the family member must consult a doctor before trying out any medications)
- To reduce the irritation due to rash, heat and ice therapy can be used to provide comfort.
- Adequate rest and sleep should be taken.
- Bathing in warm water can help to release irritation due to rashes.
- Bedsheets, pillowcases, towels and clothes of the infected person should be washed in antiseptic like savlon or dettols to stop the spread of the disease.
- Eating warm foods can be sensitive in case of throat infections. The parent or the patient should consult the doctor on what will be better for them to consume.
- Fruits and green vegetables should be included in the diet.
- Gurgling with warm salt water can reduce the irritation of the sore throat.
- In severe cases like high fever and occasional seizures, the doctor should be contacted.
The Process Of Recovery
Children and patients suffering from roseola usually get better within a few days or weeks. Sufficient rest and minimal medicine can make the condition better. Though roseola is not serious, it can lead to a few complications in a few cases. If there are occasional seizures, loss of consciousness, jerking of the arms or legs, the doctor should be contacted immediately.
The infected person should be kept at home until they get better to prevent the spread of the disease.
As there is no vaccination for the disease, parents must keep the infants away from the exposure of an infected person. When infants are taken out, possible precautions should be taken.
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.
Why Should Someone Choose Resolve360?
Resolve360 is an online rehabilitation platform for post-surgery clinical assessments, that provides solutions to post-surgery care and rehabilitation facilities for the patients. There are several programs on how to take care after undergoing surgery, what precautions and care one should take. There is free access to knowledge and consultation. For further details, don’t forget to contact us! We will take extreme pride in serving you! HAPPY RECOVERY!
For further detailed knowledge kindly go through the following points.
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform, where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- We are available on both the google play store and the app store.
- There’s Tiana, our chat buddy to guide you 24/7 through all your doubts, progress and feedback.
- Our team specializes in providing the following services:
- Speech therapy
- Clinical psychological counselling
- Antenatal and postnatal care
- Pregnancy wellness
- Covid rehabilitation facilities
- The patients don’t need to worry about traveling long distances to receive their post-surgery treatment or rehab.
- The patients can save up the time and can utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- For a smooth, at-home experience the patients are offered the following facilities:
- Live sessions,
- video conferencing and
- video prescriptions
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!