What Is Stroke
A stroke is a medical emergency that is caused due to interruption of the blood supply to the brain. A part of the brain stops getting blood supply and as a result, the cells of that part become devoid of oxygen and nutrition and start to die.
Prompt action and early treatment with clot busters can help in the prevention and minimisation of the damage to the brain. In some cases, the person may die on the spot.
The early symptoms of stroke include weakness and numbness in the face or forehead (usually occurs on one side of the body), blurred vision, difficulty in speaking, understanding commands, twisted tongue, unable to raise a hand, crooked smile, loss of balance and dizziness.
What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Stroke
- Ischemic stroke: this is the most common type of stroke and it occurs when the blood vessels in the brain become narrowed and there is a very limited supply of blood to a particular part of the brain.
- Haemorrhagic stroke: hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel ruptures and leaks causing very high blood pressure.
- Transient ischemic attack: it is also known as a ministroke. It causes temporary symptoms similar to a stroke. Does not cause any permanent damage. These are caused by the temporary decrease in blood supply in the brain.
- Lifestyle causes:
- Uncontrolled weight and obesity.
- Physical inactivity.
- Heavy consumption of alcohol and binge smoking.
- Intake of illegal drugs like cocaine and methamphetamine.
- Medical causes:
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Heavy smoker or excessive exposure to tobacco smoke.
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
- Cardiovascular diseases like abnormal rhythmic activity of the heart, shortage of breath, coronary artery diseases, heart failures, etc.
- Family or personal history of stroke.
- Use of birth control pills.
- Covid-19 infections can also cause strokes.
- Weakness and numbness in the face or forehead (usually occurs on one side of the body)
- Blurred vision in one or both eyes.
- Difficulty in speaking
- Understanding commands
- Twisted tongue
- Unable to raise a hand
- A crooked smile
- Loss of balance and dizziness.
- Trouble walking
- Reduced sensation of touch.
- Slurred speech or speech loss.
- Identifying the symptoms (mentioned above).
- Asking the person to raise their hand and smile. If the person is unable to raise hands or finds it difficult to smile (crooked smile) then it is evident that the person is undergoing a stroke.
- Taking immediate action of calling the ambulance or admitting the person to any nearby hospital.
- Not letting the person sleep.
- Not providing any foods, medications or drinks to the person.
- If necessary, CPR can be performed on spot by a trained individual
- Blood thinners: tPA which is a clot buster. It is used for immediate effect. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Medications like alteplase, anticoagulant, statin, antihypertensive drug and ACE inhibitor. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Supportive care: cardiac monitoring.
- Surgery: carotid endarterectomy
- Rehabilitation and therapies like speech therapy and rehabilitation, occupational therapy, physical therapy and stroke rehabilitation. (note: it should be done under the supervision of any professional)
- Paralysis and improper muscle movement and coordination. Usually affects one side of the body.
- Difficulty in talking and swallowing
- Difficulty in smiling.
- Difficulty walking and raising the affected side of the body
- Vision problems or doubled vision.
- Cardiovascular problems.
- Memory loss and thinking disability
- Behavioral changes: a stroke can affect a part of the brain responsible for behavior, so sudden changes may occur.
- Pain in the head.
- Emotional problems.
- Loss of self-care ability.
- Doing regular exercises
- Controlling blood pressure or hypertension.
- Controlling blood sugar levels.
- Lowering the amount of cholesterol and fat intake in the diet.
- Avoiding illegal drugs.
- Avoiding heavy consumption of alcohol and avoiding smoking.
- Making a healthy lifestyle with healthy and nutritious diets.
- Drinking plenty of water
- Taking enough rest to feel refreshed.
- It is hard to avoid anxiety and stress, but it will be better if the person can divert their mind doing other activities they like, in stressful conditions.
- Early treatment is a better way to have a healthy future. Early doctor consults should be done
- Taking proper medications prescribed by the doctor. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Keeping a good mental health
- Going out for walks, doing yoga or meditation can help calm the mind.
- Trying to attain a healthy weight
- Limiting excess carbohydrate consumption. (note: completely cutting off carbs from the diet won’t be beneficial)
- Staying active is the key
- If stroke happens during pregnancy, the patient should be regularly in contact with their doctor to avoid any chances of prematurity or miscarriages.
- After a stroke, it takes a toll on mental as well as physical health. Taking proper medicines and transforming the lifestyle will surely make things better.
- Showing support to the person will be a great help to them.
- Family members and loved ones should always step forward to know their needs and support them in the journey.
- If they feel any sign of depression the person should share their feelings with the ones they trust. Counselling is always a better option.
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform, where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- We are available on both the google play store and the app store.
- There’s Tiana, our chat buddy to guide you 24/7 through all your doubts, progress and feedback.
- Our team specializes in providing the following services:
- Speech therapy
- Clinical psychological counselling
- Antenatal and postnatal care
- Pregnancy wellness
- Covid rehabilitation facilities
- The patients don’t need to worry about traveling long distances to receive their post-surgery treatment or rehab.
- The patients can save up the time and can utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- For a smooth, at-home experience the patients are offered the following facilities:
- Live sessions,
- video conferencing and
- video prescriptions
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!
What Should Be Done At The Time Of Stroke
Following actions should be taken:
What Are The Treatment Options
Treatment options include
Some of the complications after stroke can be:
What Can Be Done At Home: Prevention And Care
Early prevention can lead to a faster cure and better health. Some of the home remedies that can be useful are:
Recovery from stroke is different for different individuals. It might take weeks, months or a year to completely recover from it. Usually, after 3 weeks, most of the patients return to their daily activities.
Taking proper medications, receiving proper treatment and undergoing therapies can help in healthy and faster recovery.
It is always better to ask for help. If there are any major complications after a stroke-like paralysis, memory loss, difficulty in muscle movement, the family members and loved ones should come forward and take responsibility. Rehabilitation is the best option for after care.
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.
Why Should Someone Choose Resolve360?
Resolve360 is an online rehabilitation platform for post-surgery clinical assessments, that provides solutions to post-surgery care and rehabilitation facilities for the patients. There are several programs on how to take care after undergoing surgery, what precautions and care one should take. There is free access to knowledge and consultation. For further details, don’t forget to contact us! We will take extreme pride in serving you! HAPPY RECOVERY!
For further detailed knowledge kindly go through the following points.