What Is A Heart Attack?
A heart attack is a medical emergency that is caused due to interruption or blockage of the blood supply to the heart muscles. A part of the heart or the entire heart stops getting blood supply and as a result, the cells of that part become devoid of oxygen and nutrition and start to die.
Prompt action and early treatment with clot busters can help in the prevention and minimisation of the damage to the brain. In some cases, the person may die on the spot.
Some of the early symptoms of a heart attack include pain in the chest, fatigue and tiredness, muscle spasms, difficulty in breathing, a churning sensation in the chest area, pain in the neck, back or arms, lightheadedness, abnormal heartbeat and anxiety.
Heart attacks are more common in women than in men. Atypical symptoms are seen mostly in women.
What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of A Heart Attack
Some of the common causes of heart attack are:
- Age: heart attack is more common in middle-aged and elderly people.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol and triglycerides levels.
- Obesity and uncontrolled weight.
- Metabolic syndromes
- Lifestyle problems.
- Heavy consumption of alcohol and binge smoking.
- Family or personal history of heart attacks.
- Less activity or physical inactivity.
- Stress, tension or trauma.
- Intake of illegal drugs.
- Previous history of preeclampsia
- Due to auto-immune disorders.
The common symptoms of a heart attack include
- pain in the chest
- fatigue and tiredness
- muscle spasms
- difficulty in breathing
- a churning sensation in the chest area
- pain in the neck
- back or arms
- abnormal heartbeat
- Tightness in the chest
- Clammy skin and cold sweat
- Excessive sweating
- Indigestion, nausea and vomiting
- Discomfort in the shoulder, back or arms.
What Should Be Done At The Time Of A Heart Attacks
Following actions should be taken:
- Identifying the symptoms (mentioned above).
- Calling an emergency number for an ambulance or immediately hospitalizing the patient in any nearby hospital.
- If aspirin is available then the patient can be asked to chew on it.
- CPR can be performed on spot by a trained individual or chest pressing can be done.
- Not letting the person sleep.
- If the patient is carrying any medicine due to their heart disease then the medicine can be given. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
What Are The Treatment Options
Some of the treatment options for heart attack include:
- Supportive care: defibrillation and oxygen therapy.
- Medications: anticoagulant, antianginal, narcotic-like aspirin, beta-blocker, statin and ACE inhibitor. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Medical procedure: coronary stent and coronary angioplasty. (note: it should be done under the supervision of any professional)
- Surgery: coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Therapies and rehabilitation: cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy and speech therapy if required. (note: it should be done under the supervision of any professional)
Some of the future complications due to heart attack can be:
- Arrhythmias: the abnormal and uneven beating of the heart. Electric short circuits in the heart might develop due to a sudden heart attack and in some cases, it might be fatal.
- Heart failure: there are very high chances of heart failure successive to a heart attack. The heart muscle might fail to pump enough blood and as a result heart failure can take place.
- Sudden cardiac arrest: at the time of heart attack the person may die on spot due to electrical disturbances caused due to abnormal rhythm of the heart.
What Can Be Don At Home: Precautions And Care
Early prevention can lead to a faster cure and better health. Some of the home remedies that can be useful are:
- Doing regular exercises
- Controlling blood pressure or hypertension.
- Controlling blood sugar levels.
- Lowering the amount of cholesterol and fat intake in the diet.
- Avoiding illegal drugs.
- Avoiding heavy consumption of alcohol and avoiding smoking.
- Making a healthy lifestyle with healthy and nutritious diets.
- Drinking plenty of water
- Taking enough rest to feel refreshed.
- It is hard to avoid anxiety and stress, but it will be better if the person can divert their mind doing other activities they like, in stressful conditions.
- Early treatment is a better way to have a healthy future. Early doctor consults should be done
- Taking proper medications prescribed by the doctor. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Keeping a good mental health
- Going out for walks, doing yoga or meditation can help calm the mind.
- Trying to attain a healthy weight
- Limiting excess carbohydrate consumption. (note: completely cutting off carbs from the diet won’t be beneficial)
- Staying active is the key
- If a heart attack happens during pregnancy, the patient should be regularly in contact with their doctor to avoid any chances of prematurity or miscarriages.
- After a heart attack, it takes a toll on mental as well as physical health. Taking proper medicines and transforming the lifestyle will surely make things better.
- Showing support to the person will be a great help to them.
- Family members and loved ones should always step forward to know their needs and support them in the journey.
- If they feel any sign of depression the person should share their feelings with the ones they trust. Counselling is always a better option.
Recovery from a heart attack is different for different individuals. It might take weeks, months or a year to completely recover from it. Usually, after 3 weeks, most of the patients return to their daily activities.
Taking proper medications, receiving proper treatment and undergoing therapies can help in healthy and faster recovery.
It is always better to ask for help. If there are any major complications after a heart attack like paralysis, difficulty in muscle movement, the family members and loved ones should come forward and take responsibility. Rehabilitation is the best option for after-care.
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.
Why Should Someone Choose Resolve360?
Resolve360 is an online rehabilitation platform for post-surgery clinical assessments that provides patients with post-surgery care and rehabilitation facilities. There are several programs on how to take care after undergoing surgery what precautions and care one should take. In addition, there is free access to knowledge and consultation. For further details, don’t forget to contact us! We will take extreme pride in serving you! HAPPY RECOVERY!
For further detailed knowledge, kindly go through the following points.
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- We are available on both the google play store and the app store.
- There’s Tiana, our chat buddy, to guide you 24/7 through all your doubts, progress and feedback.
- Our team specializes in providing the following services:
- Speech therapy.
- Clinical psychological counselling.
- Antenatal and postnatal care.
- Pregnancy wellness.
- COVID19 rehabilitation facilities.
- The patients don’t need to worry about travelling long distances to receive their post-surgery treatment or rehab.
- The patients can save up the time and utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- For a smooth, at-home experience, the patients are offered the following facilities:
- Live sessions,
- Video conferencing
- Video prescriptions.
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor, it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems, and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!