What is Kyphoscoliosis?
Kyphoscoliosis is a combined spinal abnormality of two conditions: Kyphosis and Scoliosis.
Kyphosis: excessive outward curvature of the spine causing a forward rounding of the back. It looks like a hunched back.
Scoliosis: Sideways curvature of the spine.
Kyphoscoliosis is the deviation of the normal curvature of the spine. The spine forms both forward and sideways curvature, giving it a C-shaped or S-shaped appearance.
With advanced medical technology, kyphoscoliosis can be cured. Around 650K -700K spine surgeries are performed every year and most of them remain successful.
Kyphoscoliosis affects about 0.4% of the total population in India. The prevalence is more among children, around 3%.
What are the causes and symptoms of Kyphoscoliosis?
- Prolonged bad posture: poor working, exercising and sitting postures over time can affect the shape of the spine.
- Osteochondrodysplasia: It is a type of skeletal deformity that affects the proper growth of spinal bone, cartilage and connective tissues.
- Degenerative diseases: these are the diseases in which the structure of tissues or organs are affected. It worsens over time. Older people mostly get the disease. Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis are some degenerative diseases.
- Neuromuscular diseases: it affects the normal functioning of the muscles. Muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy are one of them.
- Connective tissue diseases: affects the connective tissues which make the bone weak and affect the posture.
- Tuberculosis: effects due to TB is a rare condition but prolonged TB can weaken the spine.
- Secondary causes: secondary causes include:
- Inflammatory diseases
- Side effects due to any surgery
- Untreated injuries
- Degenerative changes
- Segmentation of spine before birth.
- Hunched or crooked back
- Uneven shoulders
- Arms and legs longer to one side
In severe cases the person may feel the following symptom:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Back pain
- Weakness and paralysis
- Heart issues
- Neurological difficulties
- Change in appetite
- Excessive protruding of the spine
- Extreme forward rounding.
Effects of Kyphoscoliosis
- Chest wall deformities: the protruding spine can decrease the chest wall which can affect the lungs and heart. Symptom:
- difficulty in breathing in normal conditions and worsens when sleeping.
- Poor respiratory muscle functioning
- Hypoventilation related problems
- Poor pulmonary/heart functions.
- Disrupted sleep: in extreme stages due to extreme curvature of the spine the person may face difficulty in sleeping. It affects the circadian cycle of the person.
- Due to the improper functioning of the lungs and heart, the person may suffer other secondary problems.
- Affected walking posture due to the abnormal curve of the spine.
Treatment options that can be prescribed by the Doctor
- Checkups: it is common for children to have minor spine defects which generally go away with age. But it is important to get a check-up for both children and adults. The adults can be asked to provide any medical history of diseases of them and their families.
- Scoliosis bracing: it is an alternative to surgery. Braces are fitted in the spine that helps to get back the normal structure and posture. It is effective for adults whose bones have stopped growing.
Note: this method does not cure kyphoscoliosis. It helps to prevent any future damage.
- Physical therapy: extensive physical therapy includes spine exercises that improve spine strength and balance. note: it should be done under the supervision of any professional)
- Surgery: in severe cases of kyphoscoliosis, doctors recommend surgery like spinal fusion. It connects the bone in the spine with a medicated metal rod and recovers the shape of the spine.
- Pain management: doctors prescribe medicines like pain killers, muscle relaxants, etc. to avoid pain and other factors during and after the treatment. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
What care can be taken at home
- Avoiding heavy tasks: the person should take up heavyweights that their body allows.
- Spine exercises: doing spine exercises can improve the condition.
- Early detection: when experiencing any symptoms, the person should not delay the process of getting treated.
- Getting a sleeping mattress that does not hurt while sleeping.
- Getting proper treatment of any previous injuries.
- Not giving up any treatment in the middle.
- After undergoing the surgery there are higher chances of infection. It is better to rest and not do any activity.
- Pain killers: over the counter medications can be taken by the patient to avoid pain and discomfort as recommended by the doctor.
- Going for regular checkups.
- Following timely intake of medicines.
- Leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Every person should support the person suffering. It is important to be careful of the words.
- If faced with any signs of depression, the person should open up and tell their loved ones.
To recover after the surgery is a long process but with the help of the family members and loved ones, it becomes a little easier for the patient to go through the journey. The timeline of recovery varies from person to person. It takes around three to six months to completely heal.
The patient can not immediately return to the daily activities. It will be difficult for the patient to indulge in activities during the recovery phase of about six months. Taking care of the wants and needs of the patients becomes a responsibility of the family and loved ones.
Medications: timely intake of the prescribed medications is important. Regular visits to the doctor if necessary should be taken care of.
If experiencing any of the following symptoms then contacting the medical professional is a must:
- Excessive bleeding
- Any symptoms of nerve damage
- Inability in healing
During the recovery process, providing support to the patient is vital.
- Being supportive and encouraging to the patient.
- Being respectful
- Mindful of the words.
- Being honest and optimistic
- Being aware of any signs of depression.
How resolve360 can help you? and Why should you choose resolve360?
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform, where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- Sick patients don’t need to worry about traveling long distances to get them diagnosed.
- The patients can save up the time and can utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- Live sessions are conducted so that the patients can have a face to face interaction with their assigned doctors.
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that the doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!
Resolve360 is an online platform that provides solutions to surgery aftercare and complications that the patient may face. There are several programs on how to take care after undergoing surgery, what precautions and care one should take. There is free access to knowledge and consultation. For further details, don’t forget to contact us! We will take extreme pride in serving you! Happy recovery!
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.