What Is Pcos?
PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome. The main cause of it is unknown however it is considered to affect women due to a combination of both environmental issues as well as due to genetic reasons.
Unlike PCOD, PCOS is a more complicated disorder and it can sometimes lead to anovulation that is a complete stoppage of producing eggs from the ovary. No menstrual cycle may occur in the woman affected. It is a metabolic disorder.
Due to no menstrual cycle, there are higher chances of infertility.
What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Pcos?
PCOS causes are unknown but it occurs due to a combination of both environmental as well as genetic disorders. Some of the causes can be similar to that of PCOD.
- Hormonal imbalancement: excess androgen production: the ovaries produce the female sex hormones and a little amount of the male sex hormone: androgens. When there is an imbalancement in the production or the quantity of the hormone, it might lead to PCOS.
- Poor lifestyle: excessive smoking or consuming heavy amounts of alcohol
- Improper diet: skipping the vital components required by the body to function properly can lead to the problem.
- Stress and anxiety: work stress, tension or mental pressure, leads to bad mental health which can further trigger the process.
- Excess insulin and production: hormonal imbalancement. Excessive insulin production further leads to the excessive production of male hormone i.e. androgen, which causes difficulty in ovulation.
Symptoms are mostly similar to the ones for PCOD:
- Oligomenorrhea: Irregular menstrual cycles or periods
- Amenorrhea: stoppage of the menstrual cycle
- Menorrhagia: Excessive menstrual bleeding
- Anxiety, stress and depression
- Hair loss and hair thinning problems
- Due to the excessive male hormone, more and thicker body hairs may appear
- Skin darkening of the neck, groin area, under the breast, armpits.
- Loss of appetite
- Acne problems: cystic acne can appear in certain cases
- Pelvic pain in severe cases
- Weight fluctuation: the person can become overweight or underweight.
- Type 2 diabetes can occur
- Metabolic disorders like high blood sugar, high blood pressure, heart diseases, etc.
- Sleeping problems
- Complications in pregnancy: premature birth or miscarriage
- Endometrial cancer.
Difference Between Pcod And Pcos
||2. Women affected by PCOS are lesser in number. It is a serious medical complication and about 0.02-2.5% of women have PCOS.|
||3. It has serious complications.|
||4. It is a metabolic disorder in which the ovary may not produce any eggs and can lead to anovulation.|
||5. It is a metabolic disorder|
||6. Its occurrence is not known, it can sometimes occur due to the same reasons as PCOD or it can be inherited.|
||7. It has a higher chance of making the woman infertile. It leads to other complications like miscarriages, premature birth, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, etc.|
Treatment Options For Pcos
Treatment options for PCOS include:
- Monitoring and controlling the blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
- Fertility restoration treatment
- Hirsutism treatment
- Acne treatment
- Restoration of regular menstrual cycles
- Prevention of endometrial hyperplasia
- Prevention of endometrial cancer
Myths About Pcos
Some of the myths about PCOS are:
- There is no chance for the woman to get pregnant.
- The woman is held responsible for bringing in the disease.
- Having intercourse can lead to pcos.
- Losing weight can get rid of the problem: sometimes weight gain can occur due to the side effect of pcos itself or it can occur due to other hormonal imbalancements.
- It only affects overweight women
What Can Be Done At Home
The following remedies can be performed for a better result when undergoing the complications due to the disease:
- When having pelvic pain, the person can try out heat therapy.
- Doing regular exercises
- Avoiding heavy consumption of alcohol and avoiding smoking.
- Making a healthy lifestyle with healthy and nutritious diets.
- Drinking plenty of water
- Taking enough rest to feel refreshed.
- It is hard to avoid anxiety and stress, but it will be better if the person can divert their mind doing other activities they like, in stressful conditions.
- Early treatment is a better way to have a healthy future. Early doctor consults should be done
- Taking proper medications prescribed by the doctor. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Keeping a good mental health
- Going out for walks, doing yoga or meditation can help calm the mind.
- Trying to attain a healthy weight
- Limiting excess carbohydrate consumption. (note: completely cutting off carbs from the diet won’t be beneficial)
- Staying active is the key
- Using proper skin care products recommended by the doctor to take care of acne and skin issues.
- If wanting to get pregnant, then the person must keep trying with a little medical help. Better days will come for sure!
- During pregnancy, the patient should be regularly in contact with their doctor to avoid any chances of prematurity or miscarriages.
- Having the disease takes a toll on mental as well as physical health. The appearance may demotivate the person. Taking proper medicines and transforming the lifestyle will surely make things better.
- Showing support to the person will be a great help to them.
- Family members and loved ones should always step forward to know their needs and support them in the journey.
- Patients can enroll in programs designed for PCOD patients to get a clear idea and to know that they are not alone in this journey.
- If they feel any sign of depression the person should share their feelings with the ones they trust. Counselling is always a better option.
Recovering from PCOD is a gradual process. It is not only about the regular menstrual cycles. It is more than that: acne problems, hair fall issues, stress, depression and many more. The timeline of recovery varies from person to person both mentally and physically.
Showing support to them can make their journey a little better.
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.
Why Should Someone Choose Resolve360?
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform, where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- We are available on both the google play store and the app store.
- There’s Tiana, our chat buddy to guide you 24/7 through all your doubts, progress and feedback.
- Our team specializes in providing the following services:
- Speech therapy
- Clinical psychological counselling
- Antenatal and postnatal care
- Pregnancy wellness
- Covid rehabilitation facilities
- The patients don’t need to worry about traveling long distances to receive their post-surgery treatment or rehab.
- The patients can save up the time and can utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- For a smooth, at-home experience the patients are offered the following facilities:
- Live sessions,
- video conferencing and
- video prescriptions
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!