What is an Ankle Fracture?
Bone fractures are really common around the world and there are many advanced technologies in the medical field that heals the bone completely without any complications.
What are the causes and symptoms of an ankle fracture?
- A fracture of the ankle is common in sportspeople who indulge in weightlifting, archery, boxing, wrestling, etc.
- Falling from a height.
- Hitting against any hard object.
- Performing repetitive tasks using pressure on one leg.
- Accidents: motor vehicle accidents.
- Direct blow.
- Performing exercises in the wrong form.
- Low bone density: due to calcium deficiency the bones often become weak and are prone to fracture by minor forces or impacts.
- Severe pain during the initial stage.
- Difficulty and experiencing pain in squeezing or doing any folding and leg movements.
- Deformities: crooked fingers and ankle joint. Obvious deformities in the area where the impact is made.
- Inability to move or difficulty in performing any movements.
- Inability to bear weight.
- Stiffness in the area.
- Numbness in the impacted area and areas around it.
When the person is experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, they should immediately contact the doctor and get treated as soon as possible.
What are the treatment options prescribed by a Doctor?
- To limit immobilization and prevent unnecessary movements, casts, splints or braces are used to cover the fractured area. The best option is chosen according to the extent of the injury.
- Pain medications: over the counter medicines are often prescribed by the doctor to prevent pain and swelling. (Note: the patient should contact a doctor before trying out any medications).
- In most cases, a mild fractured ankle doesn’t require surgery. But in certain cases, the patient may have to undergo surgery. Some of the cases are:
- An open fracture in which the bone has pierced the skin.
- A break extending to the joint of the hand
- The bone crushed into many pieces
- Rotation of bones and fingers
- Loose fragments of bones.
- To monitor the progress of the healing bone, the doctor can suggest undergoing several X-Rays.
- Periodical removal of the cast can be done to monitor the bulging or any deformities.
What can be done at home: Precautions and Care
- Building bone strength: the patient should eat healthy and nutritious food which will help to build bone strength and will make the healing process smoother.
- Avoiding to impact the fractured area: one should be conscious about tripping, falling or hitting against any hard surface.
- Wearing shoes without shoelaces can help prevent tripping.
- The patient should make sure that the ankle is placed in a comfortable position while sleeping.
- The patient can rest the ankle on a pillow or a soft surface.
- One should take the prescribed painkillers in case of any sudden pain. (Note: the patient should contact a doctor before trying out any medications)
- The person can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) in case of inflammation and pain. (Note: the patient should contact a doctor before trying out any medications)
- The patient should not attempt to realign the ankle.
- It would be better if the patient does minimum movement with the fractured ankle.
- To reduce the pain and swelling the patient can apply ice around the areas of the plaster cast.
- The person should avoid lifting heavy things or doing heavy tasks.
- During bathing, the patient should take help or support from any friend or family member. Safety rails in the bathroom can also be used for support.
- The patient should regularly visit the doctor during the initial months.
- The patient should redo the plaster cast when recommended by the doctor.
- Regular and proper intake of prescribed medicines should be done. (Note: the patient should contact a doctor before trying out any medications)
- When the person feels that they can move their ankle to a certain extent, doing some minor ankle exercises can help.
- The patient should avoid smoking and consuming alcohol during the recovery phase.
- The patient should keep himself/herself hydrated.
- Taking warm baths can help the patient feel refreshed. It can help to get rid of the swelling and tiredness of the body.
- The patient should get enough sleep and rest to help rejuvenate the body.
The process of recovery from an ankle fracture
The period of healing varies from person to person. It depends on various factors like health, nutritions they are intaking, whether an active person or not, genetics and lifestyle. But in general cases, the patient may experience the following outcomes:
- The fracture takes about 8 – 12 weeks to heal completely. For multiple fractures, it might take a few more months to heal properly and the patient might need to undergo physical therapy after the splint or cast removal. After a specific period, the patient can go back to their daily activities or indulge in sports activities.
- Particularly for a sports person, after recovery, the bones remain tender and prone to breakage. So, the patient needs to be precautious. It will be better for the patient to avoid any heavy tasks during the initial days after the recovery.
- One can also take physical therapy sessions or enroll themselves in some exercise class to improve the functioning of the fractured ankle.
- If the fingers of the feet are fractured then it will nearly take 2-3 months to get healed completely. After that, the patient can return to their daily activities without any complications.
- To experience a smooth recovery, the patient should follow a healthy diet and eat nutritious foods.
- The family members and caregivers should take proper care of the affected member and help them in doing their daily tasks and activities.
- A regular visit to the doctor, proper intaking of medications, undergoing prescribed tests and performing necessary activities prescribed by the doctor should be taken care of.(Note: the patient should contact a doctor before trying out any medications)
- In case of any unusual symptoms, the patient should immediately contact their doctor. Delaying the process might lead to other disorders.
- During the recovery phase, it is important to take care of any mental issues. Doing the activities the patient loves, listening to music, going for walks, talking with family members or loved ones, eating favourite food items, playing with pets, etc. can help to keep a good and stable mental health.
Why should you choose resolve360?
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- We are available on both the google play store and the app store.
- There’s Tiana, our chat buddy, to guide you 24/7 through all your doubts, progress and feedback.
- Our team specializes in providing the following services:
- Speech therapy.
- Clinical psychological counselling.
- Antenatal and postnatal care.
- Pregnancy wellness.
- COVID19 rehabilitation facilities.
- The patients don’t need to worry about travelling long distances to receive their post-surgery treatment or rehab.
- The patients can save up the time and utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- For a smooth, at-home experience, the patients are offered the following facilities:
- Live sessions,
- Video conferencing
- Video prescriptions.
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor, it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems, and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.