What Is Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Shoulder replacement surgery, also known as shoulder arthroplasty is a surgical process in which the damaged parts of the tissues and joints are removed. The removed parts are replaced by implants made up of medicated plastic and metals.
Shoulder replacement surgery is performed on the basis of the extent of the damage. The treatment options include partial replacement or total replacement using anatomic or reverse implants.
What Are The Causes Of Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
The degraded condition of the shoulder joint can cause pain and discomfort. The common cause of shoulder pain is arthritis in most people. Other than that there can be many reasons which can degrade the shoulder joint. Some of them are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Rotator cup injury
- Joint injury and fractures
- Inflammatory disorders
What Can A Patient Expect
Before The Surgery
The orthopedic surgeon can do the following things before performing a hip replacement surgery:
- Enquiring about the medical history of the patient.
- Taking notes of the current medications.
- Evaluating the shoulder movements and range of motion.
- Ordering tests like blood tests, X-rays.
- MRI is not required in most cases but in some cases, the doctor might ask to perform an MRI.
During the evaluation process, the patients can ask any queries related to medications, which medicines to terminate a week before surgery, getting clarity on the surgery process, etc.
During The Surgery
- During the procedure, the patient is given a general anesthetic, spinal block or nerve block to numb the nerves around the shoulder joint and the area of the shoulder.
- The surgery takes about one to two hours to get completed.
- There are different types of treatment options on the basis of the extent of the damage:
- Anatomic total shoulder replacement
- Reverse total shoulder replacement and
- Partial shoulder replacement.
After The Surgery
After the surgery is done, the patient might need a few hours to get back senses.
- The medical staff monitor blood pressure, blood sugar level, pulse, alertness and pain.
- Immediately after the surgery, the shoulder remains immobile.
- An x-ray can be done after the surgery to see the progress and positioning of the implant.
- The patient is advised to stay under the supervision of the hospital for a few days, many patients can go home on the day of surgery. The number of days spent can depend on one’s personal needs and conditions.
- A physical therapist might show some shoulder and arm exercises to the patient.
- The patient is asked to move the arm or the shoulder joint after a day or two to allow blood flow into the joint to prevent the risk of getting blood clots.
What Can Be Done At Home: Pre And Post-Surgery Care And Precautions
Pre-Surgery Care And Precautions
- The patient should stop the intake of certain medications, prescribed by the doctor.
- Avoiding any dental treatments like teeth cleaning before the surgery, because the chemicals used can further interfere with the process of the surgery.
- Getting all the necessary documents and things that will be required at the hospital ready.
- Getting proper rest and eating healthy.
- The patient is most likely to get nervous about the surgery process, it is better to let the family members and close ones know how they are feeling.
- Taking good care of the shoulder joint and not doing any high impact tasks.
Post-Surgery Care And Precautions
- If the patient is away from home, they should arrange a person to help them with their aftercare.
- keeping the necessary items like phone, water bottle, prescription, medicines, tissues, etc. on a bedside table or chair.
- Using the support of someone to go to washrooms.
- Getting enough rest.
- Wearing light comfortable clothes.
- The doctor can advise the patient to wear compression shoes to prevent swelling and pain.
- If not able to get a proper sleeping position, the person can use pillows to support their back and legs.
- While in rest, the patient should try moving the knee joint to the limited range the body allows. It will help to prevent the risks of blood clots.
- Receiving physical therapy after a few weeks. (note: it should be done under the supervision of any professional) or the person can do the exercises shown to them by any physical therapist.
- Installing handrails or safety bars in the washroom.
- Getting a toilet seat riser if the patient has a low toilet.
- Using handrails while climbing stairs.
- Arranging a shower bench or stool.
- Over the counter, medicines like pain killers, muscle relaxants can be taken to avoid occasional pains. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Avoiding smoking and consumption of alcohol can help in faster recovery.
- Maintaining proper intake of the prescribed medicines. (note: it is advisable to contact a doctor before trying out the medications)
- Eating healthy and nutritious. Drinking enough water.
- When the patient feels better and has the confidence of doing activities, they should start with easy and light tasks.
- Medical knee caps or bands can be used for extra support. (note: one should get the band after consulting their doctors).
- After a few weeks, the patient can do light joint exercises, go for light walks, etc.
- Strenuous activities should be strictly avoided as they can increase the chances of infections.
- Undergoing surgery is a huge take on mental health. So, if the patient feels demotivated or depressed they should share and let their close ones know. The family members should support them in the journey. Being patient and optimistic is the key.
- If faced with any signs of infection or other unexpected occurring, the patient must immediately contact their doctor.
- The period of recovery varies from person to person. It takes about six to twelve months to get completely healed.
- After three to six weeks, most patients resume their daily activities which include light tasks like walking, going out, etc.
- If the patient feels confident in their muscular and joint strength then they can start driving. (note: it is recommended to consult the doctor before starting)
- Regular follow up with the doctor should be done properly and a clear idea about the medicines should be taken.
- The patient must ensure that their knee joint is healing properly.
- The doctor can test for any reactions and side effects due to the implant used.
- A successful knee replacement surgery can last for 15 years and more.
- Most patients heal well without facing any major complications. But if any signs of :
- Blood clot
- Excessive pain
- Unexpected pressure at certain regions
- Change in leg length
- High fever and chills
- Loosening and
- Nerve damage is seen, the patient should immediately consult their doctor or surgeon.
The above-mentioned remedies and medicines; are over the counter medicines (most of them) and are effective in most cases. It is advisable to contact the doctor before taking any medications.
Why Should Someone Choose Resolve360?
- Resolve360 is a promising online platform, where one can receive treatment at the comfort of their own home.
- Sick patients don’t need to worry about traveling long distances to get them diagnosed.
- The patients can save up the time and can utilize that time to take care of themselves.
- Live sessions are conducted so that the patients can have a face to face interaction with their assigned doctors.
- Building trust is really important. So, we always try our best to provide the maximum support to the patients to make them feel comfortable.
- We always schedule the timings of the meetings based on the patient’s preference. Rescheduling can also be done if there are any problems.
- When a patient comes to our doctor it becomes the responsibility of our doctor to give them a healthy life.
- We guarantee that doctors will never leave their patients.
- The patients can openly talk about their problems and we assure that the information will be between the patients and the doctors only.
- Our doctors plan every step necessary for their patients, starting from planning out exercises to drafting their diet charts.
- The doctors on the platform are extremely reliable and are certified professionals with experience.
- It is a platform that provides solutions to every problem, starting with home remedies to prescribed medications.
- The patient’s trust is our confidence!
Resolve360 is an online platform that provides solutions to surgery aftercare and complications that the patient may face. There are several programs on how to take care after undergoing surgery, what precautions and care one should take. There is free access to knowledge and consultation. For further details, don’t forget to contact us! We will take extreme pride in serving you! Happy recovery!